Fishing in Belarus
Fishing in Belarus. Best fish places in the country
Fishing in Belarus is a long tradition. The blood vessels of our country are rivers and lakes. Throughout history, they have saved people from hunger. Today, fishing has become a sport with its own rules, championships and awards, as well as an opportunity to relax and take a break from the city bustle in silence.
If you go to Belarus to fish, then read this article. Here we will tell you about the rules of fishing and its cost and conditions.
What kind of fish can be caught in Belarus?
Often the following situation happens on a pond: you have already thrown the bait, squint, look at the river surface, your problems disperse and the float becomes the most important thing in the world. And now it's trembling. Your heart stops. The wood stretches and the float goes under. The undercut and finally you pull it out of the water... no, not a shoe, but a real, yet alive fish. But you've got a strange specimen that you've never dealt with before.
It's important to know which fish to catch and which to let go. There are limits on the amount of fish caught by a species at a time. They are based on the length of fish that have reached puberty. That is, fishermen are allowed to catch only those fish that have left behind their offspring.
Fish species that can be caught by recreational fishing and their quantity:
- whitefish - no more than 40 pieces;
- pike - no more than 35 pieces;
- bream - the maximum number is not set;
- ulcers - no more than 25 pieces;
- tench - no more than 22 pieces;
- white cupid - no more than 40 pieces;
- thick and carp - the maximum number has not been set;
- nutcracker - not more than 34 pieces;
- czech - no more than 24 pieces;
- bruise - the maximum number is not set;
- zander - not more than 40 pieces;
- catfish - no more than 70 pieces;
- burbot - not more than 36 pieces;
- chub - no more than 25 pieces;
- narrow-toedged crab - not more than 9 pieces.
Prohibition on fishing
The legislation of the Republic of Belarus prohibits fishing in Brest and Gomel regions from March 20 to May 18, in Minsk, Mogilev and Grodno regions - from April 1 to May 30, and in Vitebsk region - from April 10 to June 8. However, if you fish as an amateur, this ban does not apply to you. But you should pay attention to the following points:
- you can fish only in daylight time - not earlier than 1 hour before sunrise and not later than 1 hour after sunset;
- you can only fish from the shore, ice and man-made structures - you must not enter the water;
- only one rod with one hook or spinning with artificial bait may be used;
- the use of a single, double or triple hook is allowed.
Picture 1 Photo by ysadby.by
There is also a ban on catching certain fish species. This is due to the beginning of spawning. For example, pike spawning is the first to occur and needs to be protected in order to preserve its population from the first days of its life cycle.
The type of fish that is subject to the ban:
- pike. The ban is valid from March 9 to April 25 in Vitebsk region, and in the rest from March 1 to April 15;
- catfish. In Brest and Homel voblasts it's prohibited to catch catfish from November 1 to March 31 and from May 19 to June 20. In the other regions the ban is in force from November 1 to March 31 and from May 31 to July 1;
- pikeperch. It is prohibited to catch this species of fish in all regions from 15 April to 30 May;
- whitefish. It is prohibited to fish in all regions from 1 November to 15 December;
- burbot. Burbot is prohibited to fish in all regions from 25 December to 28 February.
According to the legislation of the Republic of Belarus, a violation of the ban may result in a fine of 20 to 50 basic units and complete confiscation of all fishing equipment.
Fishing on lakes
There are more than 10 thousand lakes in Belarus, but not all of them will be a good place for catching. Besides fishing, you can relax there with tents and enjoy the picturesque views.
Fishing from a boat is more effective on lakes. The peak period of such fishing is in the summer and autumn months, after the spawning period, when it is forbidden to fish in the water: you can only fish for one hook from the shore.
Belarusian lakes for fishing:
- the lakes of Narochansky Park are rich in perch, burbot, eel and zander. There are about 25 species of fish here;
- on the lakes Volchino, Myadel, Beloye and Bolshie Shvakty there is an opportunity to go underwater fishing for a small fee;
- lake Chigirinskoe is located in the Mogilev region, where knowledgeable fishermen mostly go for catfish;
- in the Braslav lakes in the grassy places one can meet a red feather and a roach. You can easily catch a big perch or a pike on spinning;
- lake Vileika, where fish come to spawn from the Baltic Sea, is the most popular lake for fishermen. According to modest estimates, there are 63 species of fish there, among which the most coveted prey is the pike-perch. In winter, the reservoir is covered with medium-thickness ice, which is very convenient for winter fishing.
Picture 2 Photo by kp.by
In Belarus, there are more than 20 thousand rivers and all of them are not similar to each other in terms of hydrological characteristics.
Rivers in Belarus for fishing:
- Western Dvina;
The rivers are especially rich in catching pike, and if you want to catch pike-perch, it lives in the Pripyat and lower reaches of the Dnieper.
Hunting underwater in Belarus can be done by diving into a snag, lying on the bottom or rafting along the river for several kilometers. The most suitable for underwater hunting are such rivers and lakes as Shlyamitsa, Volpa, Gancha, Neman, Strusto Lake.
Each hunter must have obligatory equipment in the form of a wetsuit with flippers, rifles with harpoon, masks with a tube, belts with cargo and a knife. Scuba diving is prohibited in Belarus, so the diver can only count on his strength and endurance.
Underwater hunting can be performed in both summer and winter. There is no need to dive deep in summer, as the fish live in shallow waters in algae, and in winter and autumn, the water is colder, but visibility is much better. Each fish has its own depth. For example, crucian carp, tench and bream swim in shoals near the hunter, at a shooting distance of 1-1.5 meters, and eels lie at a depth of 10-15 meters.
The Republic of Belarus attracts not only foreign guests with its rivers and lakes. Indigenous people of Belarus do not miss a chance to go out in the summer with tents and spend time in the company of family and friends, and at the same time compete who will catch more fish. That's why summer fishing is not only a tradition but also a good way to spend time in the nature and have a rest from the city bustle.
Winter fishing in Belarus is available mainly at your own risk. This type of recreation is extremely popular in Belarus, where the lakes are covered with ice from December to March, and rescue teams in these months are not sitting idle, sometimes helping the most passionate fishermen.
Fishing grounds are part of the territory of Belarus, which is a permanent habitat for fish or is important for their reproduction, feeding, wintering, migration and also for fishing. Belarusian legislation establishes a list of fishing grounds in which it is possible to fish.
It should be remembered that it is prohibited to fish in fishing grounds that have not reached the age of sexual maturity. Also in fishing grounds, it is allowed to catch no more than 5 kg of fish per fisherman per day, except when the weight of one fish exceeds this norm.
Belarus offers a large number of fishing grounds in each of the country's regions. The price per fisherman ranges from $1.5 to $40.
Belarus is a very comfortable and hospitable country for those who are engaged in fishing. Over the years, the country's rich experience in this area has made it possible to formulate and convey to keen fishermen two sincere requests: kill no more than eat in a day and take away your garbage with you.