Residence permit in Belarus
A temporary residence permit in Belarus is a document that gives a foreign citizen the right to live in the Republic of Belarus for an unlimited number of days for a certain period (up to 1 year). Thus, receiving this document, you can live in Belarus both 1 day a year and 365 days a year. No limits!
A temporary residence permit is issued by the citizenship and migration authorities at the place of residence of the foreign citizen. The term for consideration of documents is 15 days.
Grounds for obtaining a temporary residence permit in the Republic of Belarus:
• arrival in the Republic of Belarus for employment (subject to availability of a special permit for the right to engage in labor activity in the Republic of Belarus);
• arrival in the Republic of Belarus for the purpose of obtaining education;
• ownership of a dwelling on the territory of the Republic of Belarus (for example, a foreign citizen has acquired a house or apartment);
• a foreign citizen previously had citizenship of the Republic of Belarus;
• a foreign citizen is a spouse, a close relative of a citizen of the Republic of Belarus.
To obtain a temporary residence permit in the Republic of Belarus, a foreign citizen shall submit the following documents to the citizenship and migration authority:
1) Application form;
2) Original passport;
3) Translation of a passport;
4) The lease of the premises (or documents of ownership of the apartment (house);
6) Confirmation of payment of state duty (approximately 40 US dollars);
7) Documents confirming the basis for obtaining a temporary residence permit.
A temporary residence permit is a sticker in your passport (accordingly, when submitting documents you must be sure that you have several free pages in your passport).
Having received a temporary residence permit, a foreign citizen has the right to receive an annual entry-exit visa. A visa is actually needed in order to leave Belarus and enter Belarus (a residence permit gives the right only to be on the territory of the Republic of Belarus, but does not give the right to leave and enter). You can get a visa both on an urgent basis (within 1 day) and within 15 days.
An important condition is that a foreigner who has received a temporary residence permit in Belarus is obliged to reside in the Republic of Belarus only at the place of temporary residence specified in the temporary residence permit. If a foreign citizen changes his place of temporary residence, then he must within five days contact the internal affairs agency at the new place of temporary residence to amend the permit for temporary residence. Living in a place other than that indicated in the SIA threatens a foreign citizen with a fine.
A temporary residence permit may be renewed annually if there are legal grounds for this. For an extension, a foreigner must apply to the Citizenship and Migration Department 15 days before the date of expiry of the temporary residence permit and submit the same package of documents as originally received when receiving the RVP.
What possibilities does a temporary residence permit in Belarus provide?
- legal stay on the territory of the Republic of Belarus any number of days in a year;
- the ability to buy a car and register it in your name;
- the possibility of obtaining an entry-entry visa;
- the ability in some cases to apply for visas of other states to embassies located in the Republic of Belarus;
- the opportunity to issue an invitation and invite relatives to visit Belarus.