Guide to the Nesvizh Castle
Nesvizh Castle is one of the main attractions of Belarus. People from all over the world come to see the UNESCO heritage. There is no way to travel now, we will conduct a guide to the historical heritage with all the contacts and interesting facts.
History of Nesvizh Castle
The palace and park complex of the Radziwills princes is located on the north-eastern outskirts of Nesvizh. The first wooden castle appeared in these places in the 16th century and was located on the territory of the modern Old Park, and in 1583 next to it the construction of a large stone castle was started by the order of Prince Nicholas Christopher Radziwill the Orphan. This structure has withstood many wars and battles, including two heavy sieges by the Moscow army in the middle of the 17th century. However, due to the rapid development of artillery, the role of castles in the defensive system gradually decreased and in 1706, at the height of the Northern War, the Swedish king Charles XII managed to take it. Returning to the family nest and seeing the castle destroyed by the Swedes, the Radziwills decide to restore it as a comfortable palace for living.
The Radziwill family
The Radziwills family had no equal in the history of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania in terms of the number of outstanding political, church, military and cultural figures. Seven Radziwills were chancellors of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania (actual heads of government). Already by the middle of the XVI century. The Radziwills owned lands on the territory of several modern states. In Belarus, they owned: Davyd-Gorodok, Kletsk, Koydanovo, Kopys, Mir, Nesvizh, Chernavchitsy, Shchuchin, many villages. After the Grand Duchy of Lithuania disappeared from the political map, representatives of the family were part of the aristocracy of Russia, Prussia, Austria, and owned palaces in Italy and France. Today, representatives of the genus live in a number of countries in Europe and America.
Legends of Nesvizh Castle
There are many legends about the palace and park complex in Nesvizh. The most famous of them is about the "Black Lady" - the ghost of a woman in black. In addition, the Nesvizh Palace was famous for its library and archive, as well as for its treasury, where, according to legend, the sculptures of the apostles decorated with precious stones were kept. However, the following war years devastated it. During the war of 1812, the castle was ravaged, and most of its treasures were taken to the capital of the Russian Empire.
The architectural style of the Nesvizh castle
Many styles are intertwined in the architecture of Nesvizh Castle, which testifies to the use of artistic achievements of different historical eras. Decorated with slender towers and turrets, the complex has a romantic appeal, and the water in the ponds and the bright greenery of the landscape castle complete the formation of the palace and castle complex, one of the best in Eastern Europe. The predominant style is baroque.
The structure of the Nesvizh castle
The general layout and structure of the Nesvizh castle shows a tendency towards symmetry. The central building stands out for its architectural and artistic design. Relief decorations and sculptural headpieces give the facade plasticity, rich stucco molding - luxury and solemnity.
On the back side of the central building there is a two-storey annex with a terrace and two corner towers, and in the eastern octagonal tower on the second floor there is a prince's chapel.
Parks of the Nesvizh Castle
There are 2 parks not far from the territory of the Nesvizh Castle. Marysin Park is located on the opposite bank of the Dikiy Pond from the palace. You can get there via the bridge separating the Wild Pond and the Castle Lake. An artificial island is poured in the middle of the reservoir and is named "The Island of Love". Marysin Park turns into natural vegetation, typical of central Europe.
The old park is located north of the castle. Despite its name, it is not that old: for a long time there were no organized plantings to improve the visibility around the castle. But, when the castle lost its defensive significance, it became possible to equip parks close to the fortifications. And already in 1878, on the initiative of Maria Radziwill, Anthony's Park and the Old Park were laid. Unfortunately, after the Soviet period, little remained of the Castle Park.
Events at the Nesvizh Castle
All kinds of events are held in the castle on an ongoing basis. For example, concerts of piano music, walks in "closed" halls or entertaining mini-quests. All details are on the official website.
Excursions to Nesvizh Castle
Now there are excursions, musical and theatrical performances, animation programs in the Nesvizh castle. They recreate the atmosphere of the 18th century, when the Radziwills were at the height of their influence and luxury. There are also concert festivals and theatrical performances. Often excursions to Nesvizh are combined with a trip to the Mir Castle, within the framework of the program “Castles of Belarus”. The tour schedule can also be found on the castle website.
Attractions near Nesvizh Castle
Nesvizh Castle is definitely a place worth visiting for everyone. But do not dwell only on it. Explore the sights around the castle.
The Nesvizh Town Hall is considered the oldest in the territory of modern Belarus. The stone town hall was built in 1596. Some researchers attribute the authorship of the architectural project to Giovanni Bernardoni, the creator of the Farny Church. The work was financed by the residents of Nesvizh themselves.
Immediately after the completion of the construction and for a long time after that, the Town Hall performed by no means the only function. It was simultaneously a treasury, a meeting place for a magistrate, a courthouse, a city archive, a burgomaster's residence, a weighing chamber, a guardhouse and an arsenal. In addition, the Town Hall, together with the neighboring buildings, played the role of a shopping center with assorted shops located on the ground floor.
Farny Church of the Jesuits
The Church of the Most Holy Body of God, as an architectural monument, has a great cultural and historical value. The temple is famous all over the world, as evidenced by the UNESCO memorial sign installed here in April 2007. Tourists from all over the world visit the Farny Church, because it leaves incredible impressions and remains in memory for a lifetime.
One of the objects that deserves attention in the administrative center of the Nesvizh district is the artisan's house, also called the "house on the market".
The building itself was built in 1721 and was originally a residential building and a workshop at the same time.
The building is located in the historical part of the city next to the Town Hall Square, where the shopping arcade and the Town Hall are located.
Slutsk Brama is a fortification, which is of great interest to guests from all over the world, being included in the program of numerous excursions with a visit to Nesvizh. In this regard, in 2007, the nearby territory of the brama was landscaped and brought into the proper aesthetically attractive appearance.
The Bernardine monastery was abolished in 1864. The church was converted into a church in 1864, but has not survived to our times, as it was destroyed in the 1950s. The residential building is incomplete. It can be viewed by walking from the Castle Tower along the small Geisika Street to the end. When the road turns to the left, you will notice the checkpoint of the institution, behind which there is a 2-storey building of the former Bernardine monastery.
Location of Nesvizh Castle and contact details
The Nesvizh castle can be found at the address Nesvizh, st. Castle, 2.
Ordering excursions: email@example.com.
Information and cash center
Working hours: seven days a week
from 9:30 to 18:30 (From May 1 to September 30. Tickets until 18:00);
from 8:30 am to 5:30 pm. (From October 1 to April 30. Tickets until 17:00).
Photo: tokkoro.com, avatars.mds.yandex.net