The history of the creation of St. Peter and Paul Cathedral
This is one of the oldest churches in Belarus. The temple was founded in 1612, built with donations from 53 caring residents of the city. Their names are kept in the altar and are mentioned in prayers. The temple was erected as part of a male monastery; Empress Catherine II also took part in the restoration of the temple. At the end of the 18th century, the temple was recognized as the Cathedral. In its history, the temple has experienced many trials. Among them are many hostilities, the decline and dawn of statehood, the arrival of the Bolsheviks and the country's independence. During the Great Patriotic War, services in the temple did not stop for a minute. However, after the victory with the victory of the Soviets, the harm was converted into an archive, and was not used for its intended purpose until 1991. There were no services here until the arrival in 1991 of the Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia Alexei. He sprinkled the walls of the ancient cathedral with holy water and blessed their release. Here are kept such relics as the icon of the Three Martyrs - Anthony, Eustathius and John. In 1999, cast and consecrated 8 bells were raised to the temple, which became a significant event in the life of its parishioners. In 2001, one more bell was added to their number. Currently, the church has been restored, its towers have received hipped roofs, and the facades have been freed from later extensions. The Peter and Paul Cathedral is the only architectural monument of the Renaissance that has survived in Minsk. The temple is included in the State List of Historical and Cultural Values of the Republic of Belarus as an architectural monument of republican significance.
The architecture of St. Peter-Pavlovsky Cathedral
The church was built in the Baroque style, of bricks. There are two main baths, connected by a vault with a triangular roof made of red tiles. The facade of the building is harmoniously intertwined with an ornate baroque fence. During the reconstruction, a huge amount of work was carried out here to restore the interiors of the church; the roof of the parish house was landscaped. A Sunday school was organized for young parishioners.
Church shop of St. Peter and Paul Cathedral
The candlestick kiosk at the temple is open every day, from 7 am to evening. Here you can always buy candles, pectoral crosses and chains for christening children and adults, personalized icons and others, books and accessories for rituals.
How to get to St. Peter-Pavlovsky Cathedral
The church is located at the address: Minsk, Rakovskaya street, 4. By public transport: by metro - to the Nemiga metro station; by ground means of transport to the stop «Metro station Nemiga». Trolleybuses No. 12, 29 37, 40, 46, 53 go here; buses No. 24, 38, 57, 91, 188s; minibus taxi No. 1053, 1146, 1153, 1346.
If you are using a car, the GPS coordinates are 53.904969, 27.556288.